An introduction to Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a free tool provided by Google that allows you to track and monitor visitors to your website.
Tracking and monitoring your website's visitors is a critical part of your online marketing efforts. Unless you know what marketing is working (and what isn't) you can't make an informed decision about what to proceed with in the future.
Google Analytics is a very powerful tool, with many features, that is able to link into other Google products that you may be using, like Google Adwords, Webmaster Tools, Merchant Centre.
You can find out more about Google Analytics at www.google.com/analytics/
Google Analytics works by providing you with some computer code that you place onto every page of your website. When a website visitor visits one of your website pages, their computer triggers this computer code to log their visit in your Google Analytics account.
In order to use Google Analytics you therefore need to install the unique tracking code onto your account.
Getting your tracking code
1. Go to www.google.com/analytics/
2. Click 'access analytics' in the top right
3. You'll then be prompted to login to your Google Account.
If you have an account already then use the form to login and skip to step 8, otherwise follow the instructions below.
Creating an account
If you don't already have an account then click the 'create account' button.
4. Use the form to then create your account.
5. If you created a new account then click the 'sign up' button
6. Enter your information in the form that appears (you can use the guide below if you are not sure about anything)
7. Your tracking code will then appear on the next page
You can then copy and paste this tracking code using the information provided in our visitor tracking code article. (You can ignore the instructions in the rest of this article).
8. If you signed into an existing Google Account (from step 3), follow these instructions.
Click 'admin' in the top right
9. Click the 'create new account' button which appears underneath the 'account' drop down.
10. Enter your information in the form that appears (you can use the guide below if you are not sure about anything)
11. Your tracking code will then appear on the next page
You can then copy and paste this tracking code using the information provided in our visitor tracking code article.