Google Webmaster Tools
Google Webmaster Tools is a free online tool provided by Google to help you analyse how Google's computer algorithms are viewing your site - with a view to you taking notice of what's wrong from a search engine optimisation point of view.
There is a lot of data available in Google Webmaster Tools that can help you to improve your site's position in search engine results.
Before you can use it, you'll need to verify with Google that you own the website that you want to get the data for, to do so please follow the instructions below.
It can take a few days once you have verified your site for data to start being displayed to you.
Verifying your site with Google Webmaster Tools
If you would like to verify your website on Google Webmaster Tools, please follow these steps.
1. Visit http://www.google.com/webmasters/ and click to sign in
2. You'll be prompted to login to your Google account. If you don't already have a Google account you can create one at https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
3. Once logged in click the 'add a site' button in the top right hand corner.
4. Enter your website address into the box and click 'continue'.
5. Click 'alternate methods' from the top menu.
6. Click 'html tag' from the list
7. You'll then be shown a 'meta tag'.
Highlight and copy the meta tag to your computers clipboard.
8. Go to your account, click 'settings' from the left menu and then 'seo'.
9. Paste the entire meta tag into the 'google webmaster verification' box
10. Click 'save changes' at the bottom of the page.
11. Go back to Google and click the 'verify' button.
12. That's it, you're all done.
If you experience any problems please check that the meta tag you have entered into your account displays exactly as the meta tag is provided by Google, any errors will leave you unable to verify the site.