How to resize images
If you need to resize images to upload to your website, you can follow these step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
Images can be resized with image editing software or using online tools.
We'd always recommend that you purchase and train yourself on some professional image editing software like Photoshop rather than use an online tool. Over time you'll find that some basic Photoshop skills can help you a lot. You can get a 30 day free trial of Photoshop by clicking here.
If you don't feel that you can use Photoshop then a good online tool to use is https://pixlr.com/editor/
(Instructions on how to resize using Pixlr are shown below, jump to the bottom of the page for instructions for Photoshop).
If you want to use Pixlr then you can resize an image by following the instructions below.
1. Open the Pixlr website.
2. Click 'file' from the top menu and then 'new image'.
3. You'll need to select a new width and height for the image that you are creating. Find out the dimensions of the image that you want to create and adjust the dimensions of the image you are creating through Pixlr.
4. Once you've entered the new width and height then click the 'ok' button.
5. Next we're going to 'place' the image from your computer's hard drive onto the new image that we've created.
Click 'layer' from the top menu and then 'open image as layer'.
6. You'll then be asked to choose the file from your computer's hard drive. Once you've done so, your image will be placed on the image that you have created.
How your screen now looks depends on whether the image you have placed is larger or smaller than the new image you have created.
7. Next you'll need to resize the image you have just placed. Click 'edit' from the top menu and then 'free transform'.
8. This will then show the image you have placed with a border around it.
Click on one of the corners of the image (the blue square) this will allow you to resize the image proportionally.
9. Resize and drag the image to a new position until you are happy with how it looks.
Then hit the return key on your computer.
10. You can now click 'file' from the top menu and then 'save'.
11. You can then save the file to your computer's hard drive.
If you have Photoshop then you can resize images by following the instructions below. The screenshots shown below may differ from your version of Photoshop, or the device you are using, but the steps should still be the same.
1. Open Photoshop on your computer and then click 'file' then 'new' from the top menu.
2. You'll need to select a new width and height for the image that you are creating. Find out the dimensions of the image that you want to create and adjust the dimensions of the image you are creating through the interface shown on the screenshot below.
Then click 'ok'.
3. We're now going to place the image that you want to reize onto this new image. Click 'file' from the top menu and then 'place'.
Select the image you want to resize from your computer's hard drive.
4. Photoshop will then place the image onto your new image within the boundaries set by the main image size.
5. Click the corner of the image and drag the image so that it has a new size. Keep doing this and dragging the image to a new position until you are happy with how the image is displaying.
Then hit the return button on your computer's keyboard.
6. Next click 'file' and then 'save as' (from the top left menu).
7. You'll then be able to save the new image file to your computer's hard drive.