How to use and setup 301 redirects
If you are moving your site from another provider over to our system, or if you have changed a particular set of product, category or page URLs manually, then if somebody visits an old link directly like www.yourdomain.com/old-product-link they will be shown a 'page not found' message.
Obviously this kind of message won't produce a great result for your user and can lead to people leaving your site quite quickly. It also isn't great for your site's performance in search engines as they can detect these 'page not found' messages and delist the page in search results because of them. If the page had a high ranking previously then you would lose a lot of the benefit of this.
To stop any negative effects you can setup what are known as 301 redirects. These act to automatically send a visitor to the new page if they visit the old page. Search engines will also pick up these redirects and change their index of results automatically (though it may take them a few weeks to do so).
You can setup these 301 redirects easily through your account.
Setting up 301 redirects
You need to create a spreadsheet which contains two columns.
Each redirect you want to create should have its own row in the spreadsheet and you just put in the old and new URLs in. (You don't need to include the domain name of your website, only the last part of the URL).
You can download an example by clicking the icon below.
Make sure that when you put the new URL into the spreadsheet that you have checked to make sure it is working.
When you've finished, save your spreadsheet as a CSV file.
Do not include any file extensions for the old URLs as our system automatically removes these (e.g. .asp, .html, .php). Our system will also automatically remove -p or -c from the end of the URL.
Uploading your spreadsheet
Next you'll need to upload your spreadsheet.
1. Select 'your account' from the left hand menu and then click 'domain name'.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the '301 redirects' section.
3. Select the redirect spreadsheet you've created from your computer's hard drive by clicking the 'choose file' button.
4. If you've previously setup redirects and want your new spreadsheet to replace all existing ones then click the 'should we replace your existing redirects' tick box. (You can download a spreadsheet of existing redirects setup by clicking the 'download your existing redirects' link.
5. Click the 'upload your redirects' button and wait for the file to upload and process.
6. Once you've uploaded your redirects check your front end website to make sure they are working correctly (by visiting the old link and making sure its redirecting to the new link).
If you need any assistance in setting up your redirects, or they are not working, please contact us